Network Security Engineer
Location: Head office Cheadle, Manchester (with some travel required)
Salary: £40k - £45k+ Benefits
If you are looking for that special job, where you know you are doing good, why not consider working for UK Biobank? You would be working alongside a committed and skilled group of people who are building a powerful new tool for health research. UK Biobank will improve the lives of millions of people, as it allows researchers anywhere in the world to tackle a wide range of painful, debilitating and life-threatening illnesses including cancer, heart disease, diabetes, dementia, arthritis and depression.
Seventeen thousand researchers are already using UK Biobank samples and data to improve our understanding of a wide range of serious and life-threatening illnesses from COVID-19 to dementia. Over 1,500 scientific papers based on UK Biobank data have already been published in leading scientific journals.
Responsible for coordinating and maintaining a range of technologies and services to facilitate the secure, efficient and smooth running of the core UKB production environment, ensuring the uninterrupted provisioning of operational services.
The Network Security Engineer is responsible for day-to-day administration of network security. It is a hands-on technical position with responsibility for implementing and monitoring a secure network environment, satisfying the demands of partner agreements and ongoing ISO 27001 certification, to protect networks and systems from malicious/unauthorized access or misuse.
The Network Security Engineer will provide support to UK Biobank, employees, stakeholders and Users, playing an integral part within the business, helping to protect the core production environment - provided by a combination of hosted, on-premise, legacy, cloud applications, data and platforms - that is used to deliver and support IT Services. The post holder will monitor applications, infrastructure, platforms and networks to ensure they meet agreed levels of security and availability.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Report to the IT Manager with regard to day to day activities.
2. Develop, implement and follow IT policies and procedures according to quality standards ISO9001 and ISO 27001.
3. Ensure the IT Manager and/or IT Director is apprised of issues and challenges.
The following specific actions are required:
1. Performing analysis of network security needs,
2. Responsible for design, install, configuration and maintenance of network and security systems and applications.
3. Maintaining and administering perimeter security systems such as firewalls and intrusion detection systems.
4. Fault handling and escalation (identifying and responding to faults, liaising with 3rd party suppliers, handling escalation through to resolution).
5. Provisioning (IP assignment, network configuration, monitoring and graphing).
6. Maintaining hardware serial audits.
7. Maintenance of technical documentation of processes and procedures used throughout normal operations.
8. Monitor, diagnose, and resolve complex network and computer system issues
9. Management of system performance, capacity, service quality.
10. Lead initiatives for the optimization and restructuring of secure network architecture
11. Install, configure and maintain various network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls and VPN).
12. Troubleshoot problems that could be caused by a variety of security-related issues.
13. Managing incidents, problems, requests and changes in line with ITIL best practice and ensuring that SLA's are maintained.
14. Ensure that UK Biobank environments adhere to established security standards and frameworks.
15. Input into the design and implementation of new network platforms, including documentation.
16. Develop and maintain good working relationships with vendors and other external suppliers.
17. Participate in security management activities i.e. patching, antivirus and reporting.
18. Administration duties i.e. asset management and backup & recovery.
19. Aid evaluation and testing of new technologies.
20. Support any project requirements as directed by the IT Manager or IT Director.
21. Ad hoc duties as directed by the IT Manager or IT Director.
A detailed understanding of network solutions, with at least 3 years demonstrable experience, advanced knowledge, and understanding of the design, selection, deployment, and troubleshooting of networks, in both a Data Centre and operational environment.