About Research & Strategy
The Research & Strategy Team is part of Portland’s SPARC unit (Strategy, Planning, Analytics, Research + Creative) which is a multidisciplinary team that develops impactful and creative strategies rooted in robust insights.
The team conducts primary and secondary research to support the public relations and communications work of Portland. In creating the best strategies for reaching the public or influencing key stakeholders, we use primary research methods from online surveys, to focus groups or online communities to find out what people believe and how best to speak to them. Our unit is growing fast and needs a budding researcher to join the team (you’ll be joining a specialist team of 10 within a wider business of c.300).
You will join the team as an Executive – which, in research agency terms, translates as a Research Executive (RE) – we will consider graduates with the right skills but experience from a research agency would be ideal. The role will involve both quantitative and qualitative work, so you should be comfortable that you have the skills to develop both of these aspects in parallel.
In combination with developing your research skills, you will develop your strategic thinking around client problems and grow into someone who can advise based on the data and client context.
Key attributes for this role:
· A 2:1 or higher degree in a subject with tangible research elements – such as social sciences, psychology, statistics (etc.). Market or social research experience gained in an agency setting would be a bonus.
· Actively engaged in public affairs and the news – across traditional and social media.
· Interest in developing a career in research and strategy.
· Basic understanding of the role of communications and PR.
· Collaborative attitude that enjoys working in a team.
· Be logical and pragmatic. A lot of out work involves ambiguity, so you need to be comfortable tackling unusual problems and working out the best solution. This is not cookie-cutter research (i.e. big trackers that stay the same).
· High levels of attention to detail. Ability to check and self-correct.
· Strong IT proficiency – Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Experience of survey software or analysis tools a bonus – but you will need to be confident learning this quickly.
· Highly numerate with strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
· Highly articulate, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
What we offer in return
· We are committed to employee development and have an open doors culture where you will have the opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced people in the business. We regularly reward and promote success, and actively encourage staff to take on new challenges and responsibilities to aid progression.
· Our remuneration package also includes our competitive pension contributions, private healthcare life assurance cover, company contribution to gym membership, wellbeing workshops and activities, company parties and much, much more!
· At Portland we take a flexible approach to work and encourage our colleagues to do the same. All our roles are open to flexible working requests and we will consider all options during our recruitment process. This includes but is not limited to: flexible hours, home working, compressed hours and job sharing.
· In addition, every permanent member of staff that works at Portland is eligible for our industry leading annual profit share. When Portland thrives, all of our people share in that success.