Line 1 Investment Risk Manager
Based in the Midlands - Hybrid Working
LGPS Central Limited is a fund management company, regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), managing the pooled assets of nine Midlands-based local government pension funds.
With combined assets of approximately £45bn, and representing the retirement savings of over 900,000 scheme members across over 2000 employers, LGPS Central Limited’s Partner Funds are; Cheshire Pension Fund, Derbyshire Pension Fund, Leicestershire Pension Fund, Nottinghamshire Pension Fund, Shropshire Pension Fund, Staffordshire Pension Fund, West Midlands Pension Fund, West Midlands Integrated Transport Authority Pension Fund, and Worcestershire Pension Fund.
Our objective is to be a leading investment management company working with and for our Partner Funds. With a focus on value for money and performance we want to aspire to be one of the best because this is how we will deliver the superior investment returns and low costs for our Partner Funds.
LGPS Central Limited is seeking to hire an Investment Risk Manager (Line 1) to be based either in the Wolverhampton or Matlock offices of LGPS Central Limited. This is an exciting opportunity for a risk manager to take the lead and build on LGPS Central’s Investment Risk Function.
LGPSC is seeking to hire an Investment Risk Manager (Line 1) as a professional risk management expert to help to develop the Line 1 risk management framework and leading on embedding the framework into investments across all asset classes in Public and Private Markets. In this role you will have the unique opportunity to help shape the Line 1 Risk Management environment. This is an exciting opportunity to manage risk across multiple asset classes and to be part of a growing investment management team. We are looking for “can do” person who will work towards a high standard with a minimum of supervision and a strong sense around governance. Your line manager will be an Investment Director and you will closely work with the CIO Office and all the Investment Directors.
The role will require you to support all Line 1 Investment Risk Management Activities and will include, but not be limited to:
• Assist developing a Line 1 Investment Risk Management Framework, including an appropriate autonomous investment risk limits framework with applicable risk appetite, risk budget, limits and triggers
• Present risk findings to senior members of the business
• Develop tools to support the development of Investment Risk Oversight, covering but not limited to Market, Liquidity, Credit, Derivatives, Counterparty and Concentration Risk Management
• In charge of building internal risk models and Bloomberg risk monitoring set up as well as developing any risk related quant tools • Review Risk of internal and external managed assets
• Responsible for reviewing Bloomberg Compliance rules
• Collect and aggregate data from multiple industry specific sources Classified as Internal
• Facilitate analysis and meaningful reporting of the data
• Provide the investment teams with market and portfolio risk insights across Public and Private Markets
• Contribute to Due Diligence in Public and Private Markets
• Assist in the External Manager Selection process from a risk perspective, including the blending of portfolios and providing associated risk metrics
• Responsible for Risk assessment of new product launches
• Assist and contribute to monthly portfolio reviews
• Introduce a risk ranking for the LGPSC funds
• Assist in product-related risk reporting • Contribute to all relevant company policies & frameworks
• Attend product review quarterly meetings
The Line 1 Risk Manager must be able to evidence:
• Previous experience in a Line 1 Risk Management Function and experience in a similar role
• Strong academic background (degree in a quantitative, scientific or financial discipline preferred)
• Good understanding of Equities, Fixed Income, Infrastructure, Property, Private Equity, Private Debt and Derivatives and all relevant risk factors (market, liquidity, credit, concentration and top risks)
• Previous experience of working with Bloomberg as Portfolio and Risk Management Tool, knowledge of other systems will be considered an advantage
• Design stress test and scenario analysis
• Strong knowledge around risk metrics across asset classes such as PFE, volatility, tracking error, alpha, beta, standard deviation, R-squared, sharp ratio, duration, correlation
• Understanding of relevant regulatory requirements
• Familiar with developing Risk Management Reporting for Committees
• Experience in writing Committee/Board papers
• Experience in writing investment risk policies and frameworks
• Proficient in MS Office applications (Excel/VBA, Word, PowerPoint)
• Experience in performing data analysis on large set of data
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Must be a self-starter, flexible, innovative and adaptive
• Demonstrates commitment, motivated mindset and collaboratively work attitude
• FRM, CQF or CFA preferred professional exams
• SMCR Certification: Material Risk Taker and Client Dealing Function
• Promote the values and behaviours of LGPSC
What do we offer?
We are proud to provide our people with a premium and exclusive benefits package and we are continually improving the rewards we offer. Here are a few of the valuable rewards that you will enjoy: