The European Climate Foundation (ECF) is a major philanthropic initiative working to help tackle the climate crisis by fostering the development of a net-zero emission society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 1000 partner organisations to carry out activities that drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement, contribute to the public debate on climate action and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
The ECF is brings together diverse perspectives and backgrounds to find the best innovative solutions to tackle climate change. We are committed to engaging and hiring people from a wide diversity of backgrounds to strengthen the cause. If you share our values of respect, innovation, and collaboration, join us.
The ECF’s UK Programme exists to help broaden and deepen the political consensus for decarbonisation while securing actions to put Britain on track for net zero and prevent the weakening of environmental standards. As the next phase of emission cuts involves the front of house decisions about how we heat our home and what kind of car we drive, we aim to strengthen and improve the diversity of the public debate to ensure a fair transition that continues to enjoy strong public support. The UK Programme Manager is responsible for developing and implementing strategic thinking, planning, and grant-making. They work closely with the director to lead the team.
This maternity cover position offers an excellent opportunity to engage with and support a major ECF priority at a critical time for UK climate politics.
- Building political will in the UK around climate action: closely follow and analyse policy and political developments at the national level to provide input to deliver strategic solutions and build thought leadership in the UK.
- Strategic grant-making: supporting the set-up of priorities and budgets; co-developing and implementing strategic grant programmes with our network of grantees and partners; developing the scope of work for different ECF projects; soliciting and validating proposals from potential partners; drafting recommendations for the consideration of the ECF board and our donors.
- Grant programme management: monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of initiatives and grants; facilitating coordination amongst grantees; identifying areas for improvement; acting as a liaison to report regular progress to donors; managing reporting requirements.
- Internal coordination and communication: liaising with ECF’s sector and country programmes, as well as the organisation’s operations and communications teams to ensure proper and timely dissemination of information, and consistency and complementarity of different projects and workstreams.
- Networking: contributing to growing the ECF partner network across policy-making, civil society, business communities and movements.
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the ECF.
- An in-depth knowledge of UK politics and the climate policy landscape.
- Excellent collaboration, diplomacy and influencing skills; ability to facilitate effective alignment and action by a diverse group of colleagues and partners.
- Strong project management skills, including monitoring, evaluation and impact analysis.
- Structured, driven and able to manage many processes simultaneously.
- Proven track record of working in an environment that demands professionalism, discretion and confidentiality.
- Strategic agile leader, with the ability to operate in a networked organisation and to follow through on smart and adaptive implementation plans.
- Enthusiastic personality, with a positive, can-do attitude and flexible, learning mindset desirable
- A strong network amongst the UK environmental community.
What we can offer you
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work.
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself.
- A fixed-term employment contract for 12 months.
- Salary between £70,000-£85,000 p.a., with position within the band dependent on experience and equity across the organisation.
The role will be based in ECF’s London office, with flexibility to work from home some of the time.
How to apply
Please upload your
- cover letter, no more than two sides of A4.
The deadline for applications is 1pm on the 5th of June 2023.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
Candidates need to have permission to work in the UK.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from disadvantaged or marginalised backgrounds to apply.