The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major
philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of
a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 1000 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to
the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of
the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible
transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and
around the world.
The ECF brings together diverse perspectives and backgrounds to find the best
innovative solutions to tackle climate change. We are focusing on engaging and
hiring great people from a wide diversity of backgrounds to strengthen the cause. If
you share our values of respect, innovation, and collaboration, join us.
About the role
ECF is currently accepting applications for an experienced communications specialist
to work alongside the ECF communications team in a dynamic European network of
strategic communications professionals in the field of climate and energy. The
contract is for 12 months.
The role offers a unique opportunity for an individual with an established interest in
German politics and climate issues to work with a talented team and play an active
role in helping speed up the low carbon transition in Germany as well as across
Europe and on a global level.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and creative communications
professional with the ambition to make a difference and help to avoid the worst
impacts of global climate change.
This role would suit someone with a background in communications, campaigning or
public affairs. If you think this sounds like you, please apply!
▪ Developing communications strategies with a view to influence and shift
public debates about climate related issues
▪ Developing audience knowledge, including commissioning polling for use in
▪ Developing structures and approaches that can react quickly to emerging
opportunities and changes in the external context
▪ Ability to work with agility and flexibility to spot and respond to new
risks/opportunities as they arise
▪ Designing, setting up and managing projects through grant-making and
▪ Collaborating with the ECF’s portfolio of grantees, strategic partners and
international colleagues to deliver the materials, stories, voices and
messaging to support the ECF’s strategy
▪ Scoping and developing collaborations with new partners and voices
▪ Monitoring, evaluation and reporting on strategic communications work
▪ Closely following the political and media debates in Germany to identify
opportunities for engagement and acting as a source for intelligence for
colleagues and partners
▪ Proactive outreach to correspondents and editors across mainstream and
specialist media in Germany
▪ 6+ years of professional experience in journalism, communications or
campaigning (including digital campaigning)
▪ Experience of developing and deploying communications plans tailored for
specific voices, channels and audiences
▪ Ability to turn complex topics into compelling media stories and social media
▪ Effective monitoring, reporting and project management skills
▪ Creativity, resourcefulness and vision with view to strategic communications
▪ A good understanding of political dynamics and debates in Germany is
essential, specific knowledge in national and EU climate policies and the
ecological transition is a plus
▪ Detailed understanding of the German media landscape
▪ Outstanding German language skills, with proven ability to produce engaging
and impactful communications materials
▪ Very good English language skills
▪ Strong diplomatic and networking skills that enable effective collaboration
with a diverse group of partners
▪ High level of self-motivation, independence and can-do mentality, with the
ability to work in a remote, online work environment
▪ Team player with the disposition to work generously with colleagues in a high-
trust and values based international community of peers
What we offer
▪ The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic group of
individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous
and results-oriented approach to work;
▪ A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
▪ A full-time position with a 1-year employment contract, with options for
As soon as possible
How to apply
Please upload below in English:
- Your CV
- Short cover letter explaining why you would be suited to the position
The deadline for applications is Sunday 3 July 2022.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our
internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly
encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to