About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) is a major philanthropic initiative working to help tackle the climate crisis by fostering the development of a net-zero emission society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 1000 partner organisations to carry out activities that drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement, contribute to the public debate on climate action and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
The ECF brings together diverse perspectives and backgrounds to find the best innovative solutions to tackle climate change. We take a broad approach to the types of interventions we fund – from advocacy and activism to research and media engagement. If you share our values of respect, innovation, and collaboration, join us.
About the role
This role sits across the ECF’s UK and Transport Programmes, reporting to the UK Programme Manager.
The post-holder will also have responsibility for one other sector within the UK, such as clean power or buildings.
The ECF’s UK strategy aims to broaden and deepen the political consensus for decarbonisation, while securing actions to put Britain on track for net-zero and prevent the weakening of environmental standards. We aim to strengthen and improve the diversity of the public debate to ensure a fair transition that continues to enjoy strong public support.
The ECF’s transport strategy supports the fastest possible transition to zero emission vehicles, both light-duty and heavy-duty road transport. The strategy has recently expanded to include addressing aviation emissions. The post-holder will also need to keep up with clean air and active travel debates and how they interplay with the above priorities.
We are looking for a collaborative individual to become part of our close-knit UK team, with a strong preference for someone who has already made an impact on climate policy. This is likely to have been through working in civil society, business or government.
The Senior Associate will be responsible for:
· Strategic implementation: implementing ECF’s transport strategy in the UK context, and iterating it over time; doing the same for one or two other sectors, such as industry, heat or power; and contributing to the broader strategy for ECF in the UK.
Experience and competencies
- Strong interest in climate and the environment
- Expertise and experience in transport policy, as well as in one or more of the following areas: industry, heat, or power – and the interest to engage at a technical level with the policy detail
- A deep understanding of the UK’s policy-making processes
- A campaign mindset and political acumen, focused on how to navigate the political system to make change happen
- Strong network in the UK climate community, and good collaboration and influencing skills
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills and a positive, can-do attitude
- Structured, driven and able to manage many processes simultaneously
- Microsoft Office skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
What we offer
- A permanent contract.
- Salary between £55,000 and £70,000, with position within the band dependent on experience and equity across the organisation.
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work.
- A flexible work environment and a supportive space to develop and challenge yourself.
The role will be based in ECF’s London office, with flexibility to work from home some of the time.
As soon as possible.
How to apply
Please upload your
- cover letter, no more than two sides of A4.
The deadline for application is 10:00 GMT on Monday 13th February.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
Candidates need to have permission to work in the UK.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from disadvantaged or marginalised backgrounds to apply.