The Academy of Medical Sciences is the independent, expert voice of biomedical and health research in the UK.
Our vision is good health for all supported by the best research and evidence.
Our mission is to help create an open and progressive research sector to improve the health of people everywhere.
• We support researchers with innovative funding and career development opportunities.
• We help create a more sustainable environment for delivering outstanding research.
• We help researchers to work with academia, the public, charities, policy makers, health and social care partners, and industry to make the greatest difference to health.
Our new strategy for 2022-2032 focusses on the following strategic priorities.
1. Influence policy and practice to improve the lives of patients, the public and communities
2. Support UK biomedical and health research to strengthen its global competitiveness and reputation
3. Support the next generation of researchers to reach their full potential
4. Work with our partners to increase the Academy’s impact on global health by
5. Build our resources to ensure our long-term independence and effectiveness
Salary: Starting from £28,800 + Benefits (possible to increase salary via incremental steps in the first 12 months)
Role duration: Permanent, Offered as full time
The Finance Officer is responsible for ensuring that the underlying accounting records of the Academy of Medical Sciences (AMS) and Academy of Medical Science Trading Limited (AMSTL) are accurate and up to date timely. This is a key role and is the first point of contact for staff, external suppliers and fellows with financial queries for both AMS and AMSTL.
Key tasks and responsibilities can be found in the JD which is attached at the bottom of this page.
29 days per annum; including Christmas closure dates, plus bank holidays (pro rata for part time staff)
We have recently introduced a new salary progression framework.
The framework offers opportunities for salary increases at 6 and 12 months. Further increments are available as staff progress through our role and competency framework. We are also committed to regular cost of living or benchmarking reviews.
The Academy contributes 7.5% of gross salary to a Legal & General salary sacrifice pension scheme, with an employee contribution of 3%.
3 x annual gross salary
Season ticket travel loan interest free
Available to all staff after completion of probationary period
Family friendly benefits
• We offer enhanced maternity and paternity leave and provide coaching for parents returning to work.
• We are a family friendly employer and support staff to be present for their families through our agile working policy.
• We support staff who have caring responsibilities
We empower individuals and teams to identify work practices and patterns that enable the organisation to maximise its potential and the individual to achieve the best possible work/life balance.
Our agile working approach operates on the following principles:
These principles allow staff to determine how, when and where they work to do their job well and support their wellbeing.
Wellbeing and mental health
• Subscription to Headspace and Class pass.
• Regular individual, team and organisation wide wellbeing days.
• Seasonal staff connection days
• Employee assistance programme including access to free online counselling and CBT
• Cross organisation staff group dedicated to wellbeing that runs activities to support social connection, mental and physical health.
• Team of mental health first aiders
Equity, diversity and inclusion
• Regular EDI learning sessions and events connected to religious holidays, social awareness days and cultural celebrations.
• Access to EDI training and development sessions
• Opportunity to join a cross organisation staff EDI Forum, with leads for gender, LGBTQ+, Race and Disability and Neurodiversity
• EDI SharePoint with resources including current affairs, podcasts, campaigns, blogs and reports.
• We are also a member of EDIS (the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Science and Health Research Network), the Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion and the Proud Science Alliance, a collective of healthcare and life sciences sector LGBTQ+ networks.
Closing date for completed applications is 5pm on Wednesday 17 August 2022.
Virtual Interviews week commencing 22 August